CONTACT: Michelle Rodriguez, Director of Communications
Visit Santa Barbara and Film Commission
805.966.9222 x112, [email protected]
Jaime Shaw, Communications Associate
Visit Santa Barbara and Film Commission
805.966.9222 x107, [email protected]
5TH ANNIVERSARY OF SANTA BARBARA’S EPICURE.SB
Savor Santa Barbara throughout October with this Epicurean Celebration
Santa Barbara, CA (July 31, 2013) — October in Santa Barbara is a feast for the mouth and the mind with epicure.sb, a month-long celebration of culture, cuisine and libations. Now in its fifth year, epicure.sb is anticipated to have its biggest year yet. While the cornerstones are the numerous festivals showcasing local products from avocado to vino and everything in between, the participation of local businesses with their own epicurean-inspired unique events and special offers from October 1 – 31 truly make it a month to savor Santa Barbara.
Locals are proud of where they live, and this year’s theme, the Spirit of Santa Barbara, reflects that. The three categories comprising the Spirit of SB are Crave (eagerly desire life filled with flavor), Toast (celebrate the process, revel in the result and salute the masters of the craft) and Explore (delight in sight, sound, touch and taste for the purpose of discovery). The menu of activities to choose from is lengthy and will allow you to submerse yourself in Santa Barbara culture, cuisine and libations. Whet your appetite by checking out the full list of events and hotel packages at www.epicuresb.com.
CULTURE: Discover Santa Barbara culture through lecture series’, live performances and walking tours.
- “Bon Appetit,” a short opera about Julia Child (Sep. 30) – Opera Santa Barbara pays musical homage to local treasure and national icon Julia Child. This delicious one-act opera is a comedic take on a classic episode of Child’s popular television show – set to music! Susan Nicely stars as the flamboyant master chef, teaching the makings of a classic French chocolate cake, and afterwards, the audience is treated to The French Chef’s cake.
- “Words to Live By” Speaker Series & Cooking Class (Oct. – Every Thursday and Friday) – Join Global Gardens, the Caliterranean Café and Casa Dumetz for a weekly lecture series featuring culinary / cultural themes that influences the cooking class.
- Maritime Tastings (Oct. 2, 16, 23) – The Santa Barbara Maritime Museum presents a three part series featuring local fishermen, experts and chefs celebrating local sustainable seafood. Each night will include brief lectures and food demonstrations focused on a particular “catch”.
- Magic Space Entertainment Presents Alton Brown (Oct. 23) – Host of the incredibly popular Iron Chef America and key personality on “The Next Food Network Star” and “The Next Iron Chef,” Alton Brown will be sharing his insights and making food fun during a live variety show at The Granada Theatre.
CUISINE: Take part in a cooking class, learn about local food and enjoy a delectable dinner at one of many restaurants.
- Petite Epicurean (Oct. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30) – It’s never too early to discover your inner foodie. At Bacara Resort’s hands-on Petite Epicurean cooking class, Executive Chef David Reardon teaches children how to prepare healthy, yet incredibly delicious food that celebrates the bounty of Santa Barbara.
- Chef for a Day (Oct. 22) – New restaurant The Lark is offering an exclusive farm to table style cooking class led by their head chef Jason Paluska where you will experience what it is like to be a chef. From hand picking your ingredients at our local farm to preparing and enjoying a fabulous meal paired with wine, you will learn insider techniques and take home your own apron and recipe booklet.
- Ménage à Trois Dinner Series (Oct. 10, 17, 24) – Join three of Santa Barbara’s most talented chefs for three “crave”-worthy three-course dinner experiences at each of their respective restaurants: Finch & Fork, Wine Cask and Bella Vista. Each location will offer a special collaborative menu comprised of seasonal farmers market creations by the trio and their teams in their respective signature culinary styles.
LIBATIONS: Sip Santa Barbara’s flavors in special mixology classes and learn about winemaking from experts.
- The Great Gatsby Goes Gourmet (Oct. 7, 21) – Watch and imbibe as a master mixologist crafts specialty elixirs combining local spirits with artisan mixers from the Isabella Gourmet Foods shelves, in a throwback to the speakeasy days; 1920s attire encouraged!
- Winemaker for a Day (Oct. 11 , 25) – In this exclusive event, experience harvest firsthand with Margerum Wine Company as you help with hand sorting and crushing grapes, yeasting and inoculating ferments, laboratory analysis, plunging and punch down ferments. Your day will end with barrel tasting and the opportunity to blend your own wine, of which you will get to take home a bottle.
- Harvest Bites (Oct. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30) – Join the newest tasting room on the Urban Wine Trail, AVA Santa Barbara, for weekly harvest updates, including fresh grape samples, winemaker’s comments and hearty small bites paired with Santa Barbara County wines.
- Explore the Urban Wine Trail by Pedicab and Santa Barbara Car Free (Oct. 1 -31) – Santa Barbara’s Urban Wine Trail is made up 20+ wineries and tasting rooms conveniently located in downtown Santa Barbara and minutes from the beach. Have fun traveling between tasting rooms via pedicab with this two-hour tour for up to two people.
SIGNATURE FESTIVALS: Whether you prefer beer or wine, lemons or avocados, there is a Festival for you.
- Santa Barbara Harbor & Seafood Festival (Oct. 12) – The festival highlights the freshest seafood from the Santa Barbara Channel and live musical entertainment. Attendees will meet local fishermen and enjoy lobster, crab, prawns, sea urchins, and more. Activities include cooking demonstrations by Chuck’s Waterfront Grill, Maritime Museum tall ship tours, SB Sailing Center boat rides and craft vendors.
- Celebration of Harvest (Oct. 11 – 14) – At this annual celebration of the year’s bounty, vintners take a break from the vineyards and cellars to share harvest tales and wines with attendees.
- SOL Food Festival (Sep. 28) – The SOL Food Festival celebrates the local farmers, chefs, organizations and individuals who are working to better our food system. The festival connects, educates and inspires the community to participate in the growing Sustainable, Organic, and Local (SOL) food movement and the creation of a healthier, happier, and more sustainable community.
- California Lemon Festival (Sep. 28 – 29) – Find wonderful food, a fantastic family atmosphere, and variety of entertainment and activities that have made The Lemon Festival the most anticipated event in the Goleta Valley. Saturday boasts a classic car show as well.
HOTEL PACKAGES: Hotels are teaming up with restaurants and activities, so pack your bags and stay the night!
- Sea to Shore in 4 (Oct. 1 – 31) – The Santa Barbara Hotel Group package is 3 nights and 4 days, and includes an educational wine tour, amazing sunset cruise, $50 restaurant dinner voucher, La Cumbre Plaza shopping center Reward Card, and a bottle of Santa Barbara Chardonnay and a box of gourmet chocolates to relax poolside with.
- Indulge your Cravings (Oct. 1 – 31) – The Ramada Santa Barbara is going to satisfy your hotel cravings with our $99.00 epicure.sb Sunday-Thursday rates. Receive discount cards of 15%-20% off some of Santa Barbara’s favorite local restaurants, 2 for 1 local wine tasting, or a Complimentary Tasting for two at an award winning winery in the Santa Ynez Valley.
- Exploration is a State of Mind (Oct. 1 – 31) – Stay at the Simpson House Inn and enjoy both a relaxing and an adventurous time at an incredible rate. Enjoy a complimentary lunch Picnic Tote and a bottle of wine in the serene gardens or by your fireplace depending on your state of mind. Venture farther with suggestions for great strolls, hikes, nature walks or simply stunning places to picnic.
The Visit Santa Barbara and Film Commission presents epicure.sb: a month to savor santa barbara, visit http://www.epicuresb.com/ for hotel package details, a comprehensive event schedule and a complete list of participating businesses. Epicure.sb is designed to celebrate Santa Barbara’s abundant and diverse epicurean offerings. The annual promotion builds off of established foodie-friendly community events that take place in October, while offering additional programming that showcases regional cuisine, libations and culture.
ABOUT SANTA BARBARA
Voted Best Getaway by L.A. Times Readers’ Choice Awards in 2012, Santa Barbara is located just 92 miles north of Los Angeles and 332 miles south of San Francisco, on the Pacific coastline. Visitors can arrive via scenic Highway 101, Amtrak train or Greyhound bus or by flying into Santa Barbara Municipal Airport or Los Angeles International Airport. For travel and accommodation information and to request a free copy of the official Santa Barbara County Visitors Magazine, contact Visit Santa Barbara at 800.676.1266, 805.966.9222, [email protected] or SantaBarbaraCA.com. Visitor information is also available at the Visitor Center, 1 Garden Street (at Cabrillo Boulevard).
Stay informed about Santa Barbara news with our Media Center, press releases and blog, TheSBPost.com. Just getting to know Santa Barbara? The Media Field Guide is a great place to start. Planning a research visit? Use the Press Trip Request form to get the process started. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for daily updates, and visit our Mobile Site for on-the-go information about dining, wine, accommodations, events, attractions and more.