LOS ANGELES (April 2, 2014) – When the Amgen Tour of California begins May 11 so will opportunities for fans to explore all that the world of cycling has to offer. With the daily Amgen Tour of California Lifestyle Festival and a host of exclusive VIP Experiences, the race offers exciting ways for everyone – from casual spectator to cycling enthusiast – to experience America’s premier professional cycling race.
The 2014 Amgen Tour of California May 11-18 will bring 128 elite cyclists from all over the world to compete throughout more than 720 miles and 12 host cities from northern to southern California. As is fitting for the largest outdoor sporting event in California, the Amgen Tour of California Lifestyle Festival will offer a super-sized, daylong celebration and gathering place for the thousands of spectators awaiting the exciting sprint to the finish each day.
Located near the finish line in each finish city, the Amgen Tour of California Lifestyle Festival serves as a central hub for spectators to congregate among fellow race watchers, hear live music, enjoy a beverage in the Michelob Ultra Beer Garden and watch the race live on outdoor video screens. While the cyclists toil across the day’s racecourse, visitors can engage in entertainment and interactive experiences delivered by race partners and vendors, including cycling products and demos, ideas for healthful living, family activities, games, food and more.
To raise awareness of two of the world’s most serious illnesses and connect with patients, title sponsor Amgen plans to host two booths at the Lifestyle Festival this year. One will highlight Breakaway from Cancer®, a national initiative to increase awareness of important resources available to people affected by cancer – from prevention through survivorship. Representatives from Amgen’s four Breakaway from Cancer nonprofit partners will be available offering information and support for festivalgoers who are interested in prevention, facing a new diagnosis, caring for a loved one, or struggling with financial issues. And, Amgen and the nonprofits will be working to build the world’s largest cancer support team through an interactive and light-hearted photo booth.
The second Amgen booth will feature information about cardiovascular disease, the leading cause of death in the world. Representatives from the American Heart Association will be on hand to educate on factors affecting heart health such as blood pressure, physical activity, cholesterol, glucose, weight and general treatment considerations. Booth visitors can check their cholesterol and take the Cardio Exercise Challenge.
Nonprofit partners such as Bike MS and People for Bikes also will be represented. Exciting additions for youngsters this year include the STRIDER Cup Regional Races, a race and play experience for ages 18 months – 5 years to explore the world on two wheels and experience friendly competition on STRIDER Balance Bikes, and the STRIDER Adventure Zone at stages 1,5,7 and 8 where young children can explore mobility and experience the challenge and thrill of riding on unique terrain and obstacles during non-race times.
Visitors also can take home memorabilia and official 2014 race merchandise from the festival’s retail shop, such as authentic Amgen Tour of California cycling jerseys – just like the pros will wear. This year’s limited edition Amgen Tour of California jersey featuring a California flag-inspired design also will be available while supplies last. And, cycling fans won’t want to miss the newest collection of Amgen Tour of California lifestyle apparel for men, women and kids, including New Era hats, Born to Ride t-shirts and California race t-shirts, hats and hoodies.
“As it crosses the state, the Amgen Tour of California reaches millions of people. Our hope is to get them excited about cycling,” said Kristin Bachochin, executive director of the race and senior vice president of AEG Sports. “The Amgen Tour of California Lifestyle Festival and VIP Experiences have something for everyone. It’s a great way for us to engage with fans and spectators outside of the race itself, as well as focus on one of the primary goals of the race – promoting a healthy lifestyle.”
Those looking for next-level access to America’s greatest race need look no further than Amgen Tour of California VIP Experiences. The limited edition hospitality packages are the only way to get on the course and behind the scenes during the racing action:
- VIP Car Ride ($1,250 – $2,000): Experience the crowd, the course and the excitement the way the riders do by following the peloton on the route in an official race vehicle. Arrive ahead of the cyclists and watch them race to the finish line from the VIP Suite, then don a commemorative leader jersey and hat to follow the stage winners to the official post-race press conference with the pros, which is otherwise closed to the public.
- Finish Line Experience ($1,200): Get the most exclusive “behind the scenes” access, including the official media compound, backstage to watch the award presentations from the green room and to the post-race press conference where the stage winners recap the day. The package includes a photo on the official Amgen Tour of California podium, a leader jersey and a hat.
- Time Trial Ride ($1,000 – only available in Folsom on May 12): Take the opportunity to race like a pro on the official time trial circuit before the professionals take the course, including a motorcycle lead-out and full course escort. The experience will be captured with photos at the start and finish, and the day includes two VIP Hospitality passes, breakfast and lunch.
- Carmichael Training Systems Race Experience (apply online): Short of being in the race itself, this experience is truly “Bucket List”-worthy for serious riders. Participants will ride each of the eight stages just hours before the pros with comprehensive support from Chris Carmichael and CTS Coaches, soigneurs and mechanics, and have the opportunity to eat with the pro teams and stay in the same hotels.
- Overall Start/Finish Weekend Packages ($3,000 for Start Weekend including Stage 1 and the official opening gala and team presentation; $7,000 for Finish Weekend including Stages 6-8 and the Chairman’s Dinner): Live the race in VIP style with exclusive access including start and finish line hospitality, green room and press conference access, hotel accommodations, airport pick-up and drop-off, and a race VIP bag.
VIP Hospitality passes are also available, including access to the VIP Hospitality tent with prime views of the action near the start and finish lines, live race coverage on flat screen TVs, and gourmet catering and beverages. Pricing starts at $150 with discounts for groups over 10. Private VIP Hospitality Tents are also available and offer a great way to entertain clients or impress cycling club friends!
More information about the Amgen Tour of California Lifestyle Festival and VIP Experiences is available at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com. A full list of festival participants, hours and locations will be posted closer to the race. For questions or to purchase VIP Experiences, contact [email protected] or
Cycling fans also can experience the excitement of America’s biggest professional stage race from the inside by becoming a race volunteer. Host communities are looking to fill nearly 4,000 volunteer positions. Registration and further information about the various duties is available at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.
About the Amgen Tour of California
The Amgen Tour of California is a Tour de France-style cycling road race created and presented by AEG that challenges the world’s top professional cycling teams to compete along a demanding course that traverses hundreds of miles of California’s iconic highways, byways and coastlines each spring. The teams chosen to participate have included Olympic medalists, Tour de France contenders and World Champions. More information is available at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high-unmet medical need and leverages its biologics manufacturing expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people’s lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be the world’s largest independent biotechnology company, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential. For more information, visit www.amgen.com and follow us on www.twitter.com/amgen.
AEG is one of the leading sports and entertainment presenters in the world. AEG, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Anschutz Company, owns or controls a collection of companies including facilities such as STAPLES Center, StubHub Center, Sprint Center, The O2, Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE and Best Buy Theater Times Square; sports franchises including the Los Angeles Kings (NHL), two Major League Soccer franchises, two hockey franchises operated in Europe, management of privately held shares of the Los Angeles Lakers and the Amgen Tour of California cycling road race; AEG Live, the organization’s live-entertainment division, is a collection of companies dedicated to all aspects of live contemporary music performance, touring and a variety of programming and multi-media production. For more information, visit AEG today at www.aegworldwide.com.
# # #
Michael Roth, AEG
Eileen Tanner, GolinHarris
Diana Valdez, GolinHarris