Labor, Minors & Workers Comp

Minors:  Permits / Workman’s Comp

California labor law is very strict regarding the employment of minors.
You must have the following:

  • “Workers’ Compensation” insurance for all extras and actors
  • A FREE “entertainment permit to employ minors”. A blanket permit is available for groups of 20 or more.
Please Note:
  • When employing minors, the “production company” is always considered the “employer”, with the exception of “lead” actors, who negotiate their own contracts.
  • Casting agencies are NOT employers.
  • Minor extras and actors are NOT considered “independent contractors,” under California labor law

Labor Website:
Familiarize yourself with Entertainment Industry labor laws regarding minors from the website of the State of California.

Other Important Documents: