The courthouse complex is comprised of four buildings totaling 150,000 square feet. There is a full basement that contains the mechanical equipment, parking and storage. The Jail Wing is no longer used for prisoner holding. The jail (upper part of aerial picture to the upper-right) has a total of seven floors.
When constructed in 1929 there were just two courtrooms located in the Figueroa Wing, with other county government offices. In 1967, when non-court functions of county government moved into a new building across the street and the vacated space was remodeled into additional court rooms and support spaces for court functions.
Santa Barbara is named in honor of Saint Barbara.